Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Divorce and Friends

It was my sophomore year of high school. I was excited that year because I was no longer under the name of "Fresh Meat".

During my sophomore year, however, my family would start down Divorce Lane and I would learn what it means to have friends and family who will help you through anything when you need it.

Now, my parents have been arguing at night for a long time (when my sisters and I were supposedly asleep) so when the day finally came that they told me and my sisters, the shock of it wasn't so bad for me and my second oldest sister. My youngest sister, who was around eight at the time, didn't really understand what was going on.

I don't remember what the weather was like that day or the events leading up to it. I remember sitting down at the wood kitchen table with my mom, my dad, and my two sisters. We all sat there in silence for a moment, looking at one another.

My dad looked at us seriously, maybe sadness was in his eyes too, and took a deep breath and told us about how they (my parents) have been arguing for a while. He told us that they have been to therapy a few times and they haven't come to any conclusions. He told us that they were getting a divorce.

I sat there, not really too sure what to think of it at the time. I felt numb; no real emotions came up to tell me how I felt about their divorce.

My dad asked us if we had any questions and I remember all of us shaking our heads no. My mom spoke us and said a few comforting words as we sat there. To me though, the words sounded comforting but it was like I couldn't feel it.

It was later that night when it really hit me. I started crying and calling all of my friends. I told them all how my parents were getting a divorce and they stayed with me on the phone while I cried and the next day at school, they were there for me. They checked up on me between classes and offered me words of advice.

My grandmother was there for me to. We have a very close bond and I could tell her anything at the time. She always asked me how I was doing and if I needed anything while the divorce went underway. She told me that I was handling the divorce so well and that I should be there for my sisters just in case they needed help too. Though my sisters got through everything alright without my help. They have friends too, who I'm sure, helped them through the difficult time, or family.

My family and friends came to my rescue when I needed them the most and for that, I was grateful. No one should be without a friend because a friend will keep you upright when you feel like falling or make you laugh when you want to cry.

1 comment: