Monday, September 14, 2009

The Office

I know a lot of people who hate their 9-5 cubical job and why not? It's not their dream job but it pays the bills.
I am among the many cubical workers who get up early everyday to go to a job that may be far away, like myself with an hour and a half commute, or a much smaller distance.
Sitting here in my corner of the office, I see an L-shaped cream colored desk cluttered with papers, sticky notes, and other office supplies such as a stapler or a tape dispenser. The large computer screen sits in front of me, displaying today's excel spreadsheet and the blog on which I type. On the corner of the monitor, there is a little miror taped there that shows me what's going on in the background. Mostly, I see a large white fax machine, a small six person conference table and two doors. One leads to my bosses office and the other to the main hallway.
As I sit here, I can hear steady footsteps in the distance that get louder as they come closer to the office I work in and fade away the farther away they go down the hall or hush suddenly when the feet hit carpet. I can hear the quiet tapping of keys in my bosses office and the occasional ring of the phone and then the low chatter. I hear the hum of my laptop and the air conditioning and when I move to type more on this screen, I hear the fabric of my jacket rubbing together.
I feel the hair against my neck and the hard keys beneath my fingers. I feel the bandade on the top of my pointer finger shift a little as it hits the keys. I feel my high heels rub against the back of my foot as I move it.
I don't smell to many things at this time of day. It is neither breakfast nor lunch so all I smell is the paper that I work with everyday or a cup of coffee or tea everyonce in a while.
Here at the office, I find myself in my own little quiet world. I concentrate on what's in front of me till it's time to go. Some days are longer than others and some are filled with more exciting smells, sights, and sounds. Everyday is a new day and everyday that I work here, I get the bills paid. It's not my dream job, but there are days when this quiet place today really comes alive.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful description of your workplace. I love all the tiny details that make up the story. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete